The Rochelle Park Police Department Communications Center is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by full time Public Safety Telecommunication Operators. They are the initial point of contact for a majority of the public requiring police services. They are an extremely vital component in delivering effective police services to the community and their dedication and importance should not be overlooked. Many times they are required to maintain a reassuring and calming demeanor in the face of extraordinary circumstances in order to assist the caller and the police officer responding to an emergency.
The Rochelle Park Police Department employs four full time Telecommunication Operators, each assigned to one of the four patrol squads. The hope is to grow the Communications staff with per diem operators to cover vacations, training, illnesses, and other time off issues, which will help in minimizing overtime costs and the cost of utilizing police officers to cover “the desk”.
Some of the examples of work performed include:
- Receive and respond to telephone requests for emergency services.
- In response to medical emergencies, provide First Aid or CPR instructions to stabilize the medical condition of persons until the arrival of medical assistance.
- Relay all vital information to responding police officers.
- Utilize radio, telephone, or other electronic equipment to dispatch specific law enforcement, fire department or medical units to the scene of an emergency.
- Refer non-emergency situations to the appropriate public or private agencies.
Make data entries into the police department’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system as well as various systems databases such as the National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
The Rochelle Park Police Department Communications Center is staffed by Senior Dispatcher Brian Hall, Dispatcher Michael LaFalce, Dispatcher Michael Colombini and Dispatcher Andrew Gorman. Each brings years of experience as well as Dispatchers LaFalce and Colombini have firefighter backgrounds and Colombini is a Special II Police Officer.
Rochelle Park Emergency Services Frequency Information
Police Department – 460.450
Fire Department – 453.950
Ambulance – 453.650